Okay, I played both 8-bit killer and your game so I could give some more useful feedback. So here goes:

The good:

Your game feels wayyy better than 8-bit killer in just about every way. The weapons feel good, the movement feels good, the blood is an awesome touch, etc. Playing 8-bit killer I got bored extremely quick because the mechanics are frankly just awful. No speed, terribly boring level design, awful delay on the hit impacts and basically no good visual/audial feedback at all. Basically the only prop I can give to that game is that it has a nicely executed art style and a cute introduction.

But yeah, your game is still better. So kudos for being that much.

The bad:

The graphics in your game really are pixellated to a fault, and it's not just a matter of looking bad, it affects gameplay too. When enemies shoot at me, their bullets are so blocky that I hardly know where I should move, and I can't see more than a few blocks in front of me before it all just transforms into a mass of pixels. I know you're fond of ultra-low res graphics and stuff, but this doesn't evoke any sense of nostalgia. It's not good!

Speaking of evoking nostalgia, there are a lot of things besides the resolution which mess with that in general. For example, the shadows look really sharp and defined for a "low-res" game, which doesn't make any sense. The shadow maps are not "old-school" so if your game is meant to be "old-school" then you should remove them. Same goes for the alpha blending and all those other visual effects you have going on. Get rid of it!

Some of the sound effects seem to clash with your retro aesthetic too. Like, most of them are low-bit chiptune whatever stuff, but then there are some sounds that are really high-definition, ie the sounds that are played whenever you pick up a new gun. That doesn't make any sense. Pick one style and go with it.

Last notes: could you please disable that TAB debug feature thing when you distribute your exes? I tried to alt-tab to this window to write this review while the game was still running, but that thing popped up so I pressed ESC to close it and the whole game quit.

Also, it would be nice if you stuffed the game's resources in different subfolders so I don't have to dig all over the place for the .exe when I download your zip files. kthxbai

Last edited by Redeemer; 01/15/15 09:39.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!