What do I think about it? It's the largest and most destructive war in history. There's not much to be said beyond that... I'm glad there hasn't been another war on that scale again.

The Eastern Front in particular was by far the deadliest theater in the whole war. The USSR alone lost tens of millions of soldiers and civilians through all the fighting. They would have faced complete defeat within a couple of years too if Hitler hadn't made numerous strategic blunders, such as forcing his army to fight through multiple winters, not securing his supply lines properly, and laying an extended siege to Stalingrad/Volgograd (by far his biggest mistake in the eastern front). All those things left him wide open to counterattack and he was pushed successively backwards by the red army until they captured Berlin in 1945.

Something interesting I heard from my brother is that you can still sometimes find the remains of dead soldiers (ie bones and equipment) scattered in various places throughout the Russian countryside. Is this true? Given the scale of the war there it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is...

Last edited by Redeemer; 05/23/15 18:31.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!