Part II:

Click to reveal..

Realized a water line for the first time, sadly with issues and the limitations of not being able to really let flow water left and right or even downwards:

I was trying to use the calculating "normal" direction to realize current, foam and such, but with less than desirable results:

Getting the Piranhas to work was a whole different thing, too (they are still far from perfect):

(EDIT: Oh and there was another again tile model based approach where I would deform high poly meshes so it would look like the water had breaking waves (towards the camera). It was by far the best looking stuff but I had huge problems with connecting the tiles at different water levels nicely.)

Then someone told me about a thing called Metaballs which basically are distances to positions (like the low res tile map in my level) summed and compared to a threshold, resulting in liquified contours. Final result:

I'm not 100% satisfied but I say it's good enough to move on. I spent way too much time on this level but at some point I just had invested too much already to give it up completely. I think the metaball concept can be expanded into many more effects, maybe even gameplay related stuff!

EDIT 2: The final result is just one big 2face quad mesh across the whole level, no need to place all those small tile models manually.

Last edited by Superku; 10/01/15 16:19.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends