I've now read the relevant chapter of Ehlers' text, and arrived at the following equation for a 2-pole filter (Gaussian), as supposedly written in EasyLanguage:

y = a*a*x + 2*(1-a)*y[1]-(1-a)*(1-a)*y[2]

Which seems much simpler but still has the problem of referring back to earlier versions of the same variable to define a variable (which is completely circular)... ***ALSO, it never in the chapter defines what "x" is supposed to be. (Kind of like in the Zorro code it doesn't define what "Data" is.***

If you are referring to earlier versions of a variable to run into this logical problem: what is y[2]? y[2] = a*a*x + 2*(1-a)*y[3]-(1-a)*(1-a)*y[4] ??? And what is y[4]???? It just goes on forever never truly defining what exactly it is...

When you return LP[0] = something... what are you doing? Why not just return LP[0]? How do you make it equal to something other than series(Data[0])? Should the result just be "false"? I know it can't be since the function is supposed to return a variable...

This is why we need a chat room--because it seems like it will take years to even understand one of the basic functions of the manual this way. According to wikipedia circular references are useless. I tend to believe that it works better than simple moving averages and can easily test it, but I prefer to halfway understand the indicators I'm using, and would expect anyone who takes this seriously to do the same. Hopefully someone out there can explain...