@rayp -- That's really cool! Looks like a fun project.
@BlackJack really nice looking. goning to be a really cool project.

@Dooley -->Malice Lecture Warning<--
Quote:
Questions for experienced developers:
1. Does it ever end?
2. How do you stay positive?
3. How/When do you decide that it's easier to just take what you've learned and start from scratch?

I'm not count myself as a "experienced developers" I say long time trouble shooter.

1) No not really. It helps to have more eyes and hands working on problems but even the AAA teams never fix it all. In fact in my last software development course the instructor told us "Code-projects are never really finished, never truly perfect, and can always be made better." Of course he wasn't talking about the 'Hello world' app lol.
A few things can help you.
Design design design,
plan,
research,
plan-the-implementation,
and write modular.
*So taking a good time to really think out the whole project, it's parts and how they fit together can be worth months of designing before one line of code.
*Planning out each one of the parts and how they will act and interact again is worth a lot of time before coding
*Research how other people have made the parts work - if there is a better way - if there is a quick solution you can just grab and modify.
*Plan-the-implementation- This confuses people, but don't just have an idea of a system(ex. movement) , how it should act, and what the end result should be - instead map out the code design in flow like charts ( This assumes more complex than simple movement).
*write modular - Keeping code parts separate and organize is very helpful. Basically this way you can quickly plug-in or unplug a code-part system, with little effort and without break other code-part systems.
Also don't work in a vacuum
2)LOL... Me stay positive!! --> positive or negative these come and go, it's a goal/a job , so positive or negative you've got to get up and do the day's labor. You've negative will turn to positive when your progress starts build and your problems stop piling up. However you feel, just keep getting up everyday and working.
3)Never really! Starting new with what you have learned will simple mean new game and content that reaches the same limits of the unknown. I would say if you like/love the project then never stop working at it until you feel you've completed it. Maybe it's about taking a week to redesign it. Or sometimes I've moved so fast I need to stop coding new stuff and debugging it, instead I spend a week organizing and commenting it all. Once I clean the mess the bugs jump out more obvious and while I'm cleaning house I just keep a running note-pad of bugs and issues I find. Then I go back to the bug fixing or new code.I'd say if you have to keep tearing down the house while you build it, than you didn't focus enough on the prep and design work.

Last edited by Malice; 06/29/16 02:25. Reason: Typo s and such