Well 2 days with Godot 3 docs, examples and video tutorials.

So far the learning curve is by far the lowest of the engines I've tried (Unreal C++ and unity C#).

TL:DR

GDScript is not hard at all after Lite-C. It's a bit confusing for foolish reasons. It doesn't use {} or ; instead it uses levels of indention. It only a little annoying because I like the organization of {} and ; after years of using them.

The built in classes are similar to acknex functions. It not to hard to follow. Move_and_slide == c_move , Input.is_action_pressed == key_pressed, raycast == c_trace, Delta == time_step, ect.

API documentation is lacking. It's in progress and incomplete. It's often short and not clear. I really prefer the A8 manual style with it's examples and related function links.

The "getting started" section on the Godot docs page is easy to understand and follow. It quickly had me understanding the design of scenes/node and scripts. Also that page has basic tutorials by subject from 2d to physical ect.. I haven't really look at but 10% of them as I skipped to the more advanced stuff on YouTube. But I'm sure it's worth spending half a day to really understand the design and api.

The built in script editor is not so great. It has auto complete but I haven't seen prototype tip. It is continuously error checking but it's so far not very clear about the error. Really I just haven't learned how to read and use it. The engine can hang on error, but like SED you can switch to the editor to see the debug and error info.

Cool fact the complete Godot editors are actually a Godot engine game/application. Sort of a working GED with built in SED.

Enough for one post, I'll post again if anyone actually wants a future update.

Last edited by DriftWood; 02/18/18 14:04.