Thanks for the information. Regarding the char pointer problematic, I'd like to show you the full code snippet. It would be nice if you could quickly check if I'm handling things the right way. As this is very Steam-specific and thus maybe a bit off-topic, I'd rather send this via PM.

Regarding sky entities: Every sky model I use consists of just three planes, each with a 1024x1024 texture. After all we know, the engine should be able to handle that in terms of texture size, but I will now give it a try and remove the entity from the code. I already tried to replace it by another model with a 32x32 texture to rule out a texture size problem, but that didn't change anything.

Other things I tried so far:
- Played the game with the -ns engine paramter. Crashed anyway.
- Removed all PROC_GLOBALs from the code. Didn't work.
- Removed some of the windows.h function calls, to no avail.
- Excluded other parts of the code that I haven't tried yet. Also did not work.

I also dug up some older builds and tried to reproduce the crash there. I found out that I wasn't able to crash a version from August 2017 - this one is missing most of the menu and UI functionality and handles many internal things (especially level-loading and controls) differently, so I can't blame it on a certain thing yet. But I'll now investigate this further.