@Manslayer101:
You posted a link to a book. In your opinion what do you think is the strongest point he is making for god ?

@Nitro:
Quote:

If you read the original reply to Marco you will understand that marco speculated that God should really show goodness by stopping all the needless destruction, to which I replied that if God did so, He would be more of a social servant.

Well my original claim was that God should do something tangible that can not be readily explained by science. This would give us proof of a powerful entity. If this entity's actions were also good then we had proof for a benevolent, powerful entity.
It all comes back to the old omnimax refutation of god. If god was powerful and had knowledge of the suffering caused by natural evil (assuming he did not cause it), as a benevolent being he should intervene to save people. Let's create a human example: I see a bleeding person on the street, and as a doctor I know how to save him from dieing, but instead walk away, then a court of law could find me guilty of negligience if not worse. Even without the threat of fines we could reasonably expect a doctor to take care of the person though. Thus the conclusion must be that this god who is all-knowing and even mildly powerful apparently is of lesser virtue than a human doctor.

Quote:

The other point here is that there are thousands of testimonies from Christians that survived Katrina which talk about God intervening because of their prayers, "coincidences" which they know to be impossible.

What's that? God acting as a social servant ? ;-)

Are you claiming that devout Protestants are not killed in natural disasters ? You might be familiar with the forum "Rapture Ready" which can be rather entertaining to read. Shortly after the mining disaster last year when the false news were broadcast that a large number of miners had been saved, the people over on these forums started praising god for this miracle. Eventually the statement was revised that they were not saved, but oddly enough nobody decided to blame god for his negligience. The same kind of selective perception is going on here.