05.05.06 today i made a big step i think i now have a simple movement code for the server player. his positions are sent to all clients 4 times a second . now i have a very simple movement for the clients. they just use c_move to move to every new received position.

this works quite well only sometimes there are little jerks in the movement. i think i know the cause but havent found a good solution yet. the statemachine of the client switches to mode_stand when the last received position is reached with c_move. now if this position is reach bevore the client receives a new position the player stands still for a very little time. and starts moving then again. this is where the jerk comes from.

i made a little sketch to show you how i do movement.

i sent the new position first when the client joins so he knows where the server stands at. and when the server player stops his movement so both end at almost the same position.

i will now think about a way to prevent the problem that the player stops at the client because he reached the last received position faster than he got a new one.

iam pretty happy already because we tested this over the internet and it works with 30-40 bps average!

nice weekend all of you, ill update the blog once i find out new things. if you have any suggestions for me you are very welcome!

Last edited by ulf; 05/05/06 19:17.