I just thought i'd note that your way of handling pointers and local entities for bot hthe server and client will probably make things harder. When you create normally, the server and every client has the same entity created on them. If someone joins after the start, then they wont have these entities on them. But, since your planning for fixed creation thats allright. Then again, it's gonna make testing tough, unless you create a system so everyone joins at same time or have all the initial local entities sitting in the level at start.

Anyways, if you go with one normal ent_create instead of local creation, pointers are much easier, and sending information is easier too(because of the pointers). Since every client and server creates the entity, they will all have the same pointer. With local entities your going to have to manually assign pointers, since every entity would be unique. For example, a local soldier on the client and a local soldier on the server will have different pointers by natural, so your going to have to set up a huge list of unique pointers(for every new unit) and go about asinging them properly. This might also mess up the "you" type pointers for handles ect. Cause no longer will the you entity on your comp be the exact same entity on all the other comps.

For the intitial pointer set up, just do it this way, client1 is the first client connected to the game, and so on... then if you create a guard, create it server/client wide. It has it's own unique pointer which is by default the same on all computers. If you click on that entity locally, tell the server, the server then sends a move command to the clients, then move it on the server and clients. In the end I think messing with properly setting pointers locally is much tougher than making sure you properly disable all the automatic A6 state sending globally. In my game the only entities that send positions are the main karts. Everything past that is all states so to speak. For example, a weapon i've got is similar to green turtle projectile in Mariokart. I have it follow the kart, then I send a variable across when I left click mouse, that variable tells the projectile to move on each client individually, then I do the logic on the client/server, and when you end up removing that weapon, you dont have to do no poitner work, it removes on all comps with only one "ent_remove" command!

P.S - hope the cold gets better, they can be quite nasty sometimes.

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/