When I had A4, the MED in 6.31 was otherwise the same. The only (that's right, only) considerable changes made were the addition of terrains, bones animation, and support for true color. The overall design is virtually unchanged. I don't recall the exact version of A4 it was. The skin edittor is practically the exact same in 6.31, the overall method to design things is otherwise the exact same. Even my "how to make levels in MED" tutorial applies considerably well for A4.

However, compared to A4, WED has quite a few changes and the engine itself, most especially, has more changes. The reason why MED is often though of as bad and not worth it is likely because it hasn't progressed anything. It's always WED, or the engine getting updates while poor MED gets left in the dust. I've been so fond of using MED, but even now, with all the annoyances, limitations, and bugs, I'm now starting to look into another modelling application. I repeatedly bring up suggestions (and the same ones) for how to make more worthy improvements.

There are quite a few major improvements that would make me use MED again. When using primitives, setting the size for each axis (rather than the confusing system used now with the ultra narrow input fields - a size of 12 with 18x9 edges doesn't mean 12 quants diameter, it's unpredictable and the size values indicated (32.000 for each for a sphere at the default settings) cannot be changed. Having tool options for each tool and in all modes would definitely prove useful. Only the move tool in vertex mode has any user-configurable options, that's it. Rather than having the tool options on the bottom, have them on the left side as there's plenty of space over there where a manager system could go for easy, instant access where any skins, group lists, and any tool options can be displayed, much like WED does. The last thing is when creating UV maps. Currently, there's no dependable way to accurately position skin vertices on a UV map to an exact scale like textures in WED, and it always causes texture misalignment and it looks weird. If I just set the scale to 0.25, the entire object would have the same texture scale and textures would line up properly, especially true for MDL terrains. Just providing these features would make MED much better so others don't have to resort to 3rd party programs constantly (of which I'm now thinking of doing).

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials