From Cacafire:

Quote:

You'll probably notice that my entry is a little more mature in writing style. That's because I thought the videogame would benefit with a more mature description of the world and events. It's still family friendly, but It's not sickeningly cute, as so many pc games that bomb are. If you look closely, you'll see that the dialogue isn't that mature, which is intentional. It is a kids game, right? The wizard, on the other hand, would be for the older kids. The wizard's english is like the "level 3", while Cui is "level 2", and nyara's language is "level 1". Hope you like.

:Begin:

Shared Qualms

"Travel to the outskirts of Varjina, my little one. There, I shall be waiting for you." Those words echoed through solomon's head, increasing the solemnity of his expression. Thunder clapped in the distance, accompanied by a brilliant flash of light, as could be seen from the tower Solomon now stood in. He did not see it, though, and instead turned away from the gaint window. There was no glass, and cold wind whipped through the room, bringing with it the salt spray from the ocean below. Yet, Solomon stayed erect. He kept his old, graying body rigid as an oak, and contemplated the drab coldness of the hard stone walls. The words of Vin rang incessantly through his mind, and his face twisted in mortifiying fear.

"Could Vin know of my plan?" He spoke out loud, his voice hollow and vacuous. Then he turned, facing the window, and the lifeless landscape of the mountains along the shoreline. He flung his bony arm outward, causing the long cloth swimming on his body to ripple. Pointing to someplace in the distance, his sharp eyes cutting in the distance, he spoke: "Go," Solomon's eyes grew harsh, swelling with inky blackness, "bring the girl to me."

The harrowing screech of something horrible filled the room, whipped the stone of it, seeming to dare the storm to break. Then, launching out the window, it was gone.

Descending quickly over the mountain, dark clouds brewed, making it hard for Nyara to see. She gasped for breath as she scrambled over fallen logs and other obstacles, while the forest brooded over her presence, seemingly watching her every mood, eagerly awaiting a mistake. Finally, she sat, panting from her run. "Resting already, I see." Nyara looked up and frowned.

"You're not tired, Cui?" A weasel shot out of the brush, hovering in the air on feathery wings. His eyes darted from side to side, regarding everything with suspicion. Still, Cui finally stopped flapping and lowered himself onto the rock Nyara sat on.

"You tire easily, M'lady." She gave him a sharp look, but ended up bursting in laughter when he made the face. Cui laughed as well, leaning back on the rock and slumped himself against her side. "Ahh... such soft cloth. I have always fancied what it might be like to wear clothing, M'lady. But it's no use wondering, now that he's after us." Cui gave a long sigh.

Nyara laughed slightly, but now wasn't in the mood. At the mention of him, she stiffened considerably, and began to sniffle a little. "That horrible wizard! That's why we must get to varijna."

"And why we must not waste time sitting in a forest, M'lady." Cui stretched his wings and propelled himself back in the air. "Well, now, See? I've already got my second wind." Nyara ignored him, and concentrated instead on focusing her own breathing. While she thought, she tied her hair back into a tail to prevent it from falling in her eyes. They had to leave Guna too soon; They hadn't been able to get adequate supplies. Suddenly, something caught her eye, then vanished. Nyara instantly snapped to her feet, looking to the sky. "What is it, Ny?"

Nyara's eyes scanned the horizon above the mountain's tree line. Indeed, what was it? The only way to Varjina was through this mountain pass. "Cui... you don't think solomon... would be expecting us--would you?" The cat girl and her familiar's eyes met, passed information instantly. Then, it happened again; the sky, like something invisible, but not quite, shifted. Nyara concentrated her magics in a flurry of motion, queitly chanting the first spell she had learned in Guna: Reveal.

Nyara finished chanting and targeted the magical energy where the shimmer had been. Suddenly, it all came clear. A horrible screech shattered the brooding silence, and the matsadon swiftly swooped down on them. "Look out!" Cui screamed. Nyara dived low to the ground, barely missing the monsters claws. It flew back up and made ready for another pass. "Run!" Cui flew down to nyara and helped her up.

"Ouch..." She rubbed her head. The matsadon got ready. Nyara made a flurry of gestures, and produced another spell. "Fatimina Ruquina!" She pushed her hands outward, and a brilliant flash of light blinded the creature. It fell down to the forest floor with a loud thump, and scrambled to get back up. Nyara and Cui ran off, dodging trees and leaves and things you couldn't imagine, until they came to a large clearing. Inside the clearing were two rows of mushrooms, each with two signs above them.

Nyare kneeled over, clutching her chest and gasping for air. "That was too close for comfort." Cui stated, as if they hadn't just been targeted by one of Solomon's victims. Solomon's victims...Nyara closed her eyes. It had been horrible what Solomon had done to that village, turning all the animals into slaves of his ambitions. She balled her hands into fists. They must get to Varjina. "Say... take a look over here!" Cui said.

Nyare opened her eyes to see what Cui pointed at. "Are those... Mushrooms?" Suddenly, the screech was back. Nyara and Cui heard the matsadon clawing it's way through the underbrush. Nyara turned to Cui, "Which one do I eat?" She pleaded.

"Who cares!?" Cui torted, "They're both the same color! Hurry!"

"No, you numdum!" She pointed at the two signs, "Which one is better?" The matsadson snarled, snapping at the thought of pleasing it's master. Cui took out his glasses, and scanned each sign. Nyara fluttered her hands and cast another spell; It didn't work. The Maatsadon was just feet away from the clearing. "Cui...!"

"I'm hurrying! I'm hurrying!"

"less talk, more hurry!" The matsadon reached the clearing. Cui pointed at the sign on the right:

"That one say's to eat the mushroom." Nyara rushed over, just as the matsadon's sharp talons closed over her waist, and popped the mushroom into her mouth. Cui tried to attack it, but was kicked across the clearing.

"Nyara!!!" he screamed.

"It's all right." She smiled, and cast the new spell.

:end:

That's it. Let the judging begin.

-Cacafire