Hi. Just saw this and decided to use my lunch hour to put something together quickly. Some of the descriptive text is lacking as I write plain sentences and then fill it in -just took longer than I thought and it is time to go to work. Hopefully enough to give you an idea.

Scene:
[Beautiful day in the beautiful forest. (describe idyllic surroundings)]

Dawn rose bright and beautiful as it always had in the Namura Woods. Golden light gilded the edges of verdant leaves and wide sienna trunks casting a silken blanket of light upon the dreaming forest. Gentle zephyrs played music in the trees and signaled the changing of the guard, with daytime creatures waking and those of enchanted evenings going to their slumber.

[Nyara awakens from her pleasant dream.
CUI has awakened her with his chittering.
He senses something wrong.]

Upon the branches of the Nu'na tree a feline form stretches gracefully in her sleep and begins to wake. A steady chittering chh-chh-chh sound has intruded upon her cat dreams and she springs to alertness as her waking mind realizes that the persistent sound is one she has not heard in recent memory - the sound of a weasel's warning call. That this particular weasel was CUI, a magical and highly intelligent creature, made the cry all the more alarming. CUI could speak most of the languages of the land and only grave danger could cause him to revert to the primitive language of his ancestors.

Confused Nyara whirled wildly seeking the source of the danger. Gathering her magic about her she called, “CUI. What is it? What do you see?” With lips pulled back in as fierce an expression as Nyara had ever seen on his face he pointed with one small furry claw to the sky where a swirling maelstrom of inky blackness was brewing. Growing swiftly it appeared almost like a stain or a bloody wound in the air.

A foul and fetid breeze began to blow and chilled Nyara to the bone. “What is happening CUI?” At last, halting his wild cry, CUI looked at Nyara and raising his voice to be heard over the now howling wind he cried “A great evil has returned little one! Long have my kind dreaded this day, foretold in prophecy. A wizard who serves the old gods of chaos comes! Prepare yourself!”

Wham! Like a volcanic eruption boiling clouds spewed from the abomination in the sky, blocking the golden light. Angry lightning arced across the heavens like arrows of warring demons as the evil wizard Enjida Inashini appeared riding upon the nightmare Akumu. The woodland animals raced to hide in their holes and trees; some took shelter behind Nyara and CUI hoping their magic would offer some protection.

Inashini arrogantly looked around, his face a mask of evil and contempt. “This place annoys me. Too long have the gods allowed it to exist unspoiled. The natural order of all things is chaos and destruction." Reaching to his monstrous steed he slowly slid a darkly stained and rotting spear from the saddle of Akumu. Evil rolled from the spear in waves anduttering foreboding words he raised the spear high above his head and rammed it through the earth and deep into the heart of the grove. Instantly the ground trembled and rolled like a wounded animal. Deep in her bones Nyara felt the keening of the forest and knew that something very wicked had been done.

Struggling to maintain her balance while the earth still bucked Nyara gasped as the spear began to put forth unnatural branches and roots that pierced deeply into the soil. In a short while a hideous transformation began as the spear evolved into a dark and malignant sapling festooned with crawling bugs and scaly vermin of terrible aspect. Just as swiftly the grass around the punctured earth began to wither and die.

Lashing out without thought, Nyara’s magic arched at the wizard, burn bright as the noon day sun to match the fierce anger she now felt. The magician and his evil steed started in obvious surprise and pain. “You are strong but no match for me girl! I will be back to destroy you when this forest, which I see feeds your magic, is a scabrous and rotting hulk.”

Leaping upon Akuma the wizard swirled into the sky, as Nyara’s magic flames began to singe the edges of the dark clouds with which he was wrapped and tatters of his sooty blackness fell like snow upon the ground. From his perch high in the air, the wizard Enjida reached into his robes and pulled forth an orb of darkness which he hurled to the ground. The resulting explosion sent black lightning and wild sparks through the air and each thing they touched became corrupted. Gentle forest creatures sprouted fangs, claws, powerful tails or bat wings and most flew, slithered or swam away. A few, only partially corrupted with one clawed foot, a bat wing or a single saber tooth, remained with Nyara and CUI, pleading for help with frightened eyes.

Casting a final blast of golden fire at the fleeing magician Nyara stopped, drained from the unexpected effort. “That was quite impressive” CUI said. “In time, and with more training, you will become a formidable weapon against the likes of those evil creatures.” Nyara responded “Look what he has done!” she said waving her arm to show the dark tree, corruption and altered plants and animals. “Teach me the magic I need to restore my friends and our home!”

“Alas!” cried CUI “I cannot. The spear which he thrust into the heart of the garden is an eldritch thing formed from the chaos that was before the world was created.”

“Is there nothing we can do?!” Nyara cried, as she pushed and pulled the evil tree to no avail. “Even now this evil grows. See? It is already larger than it was a moment ago.”

CUI scratched his head pensively. “There is one thing which might heal this sacred place and perhaps help defeat the wizard. There is a legend from a land of myth, of a Temple dedicated to the father of the Baku, the protector spirits. In it is said to reside a powerful omamori, an amulet shaped like a whistle. It is known as “Voice of the Father” the ancient texts say that one who is pure of heart and purpose can use it to call upon the baku to do battle when the need is great."

[CUI calls upon his magic to retrieve a book which tells what is known about the location of the temple.]

[Nyara prepares herself and asks if there is anything that can be done for her friends and the forest.]

CUI points to the gold circled mushrooms that always grew where the sunlight was brightest in the forest. "These mushrooms absorb the goodness of the forest and the sunlight. In this special place, that gives them great potency. Those animals who are only partially corrupted may be restored by eating these mushrooms. But take care as some of the mushrooms are infected by the darkness that the wizard cast down as he fled. Eating one of those could have unintended consequences."

That's it for now. Tell me what you think.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|