Quote:

Well actually evolutionary theory would have us believe we're incredibly flawed creatures which have sacrificed most of our physical perfection for social and mental development. A shark, or those bacteria that can repair their dna and are thus immortal, would be the ultimate lifeforms since they've been in stasis so long.

Fair enough. But I was thinking in terms of deciding what the ultimate intelligent power is. According to theists, we're ignorant little runts, barely able to hold it together (in a sense). According to atheists, we're never wrong because there is no such thing as wrong. I was thinking more in terms of that.

Quote:

Also, I'm pretty sure most christians I know don't believe animals have a soul, and thus that they do not return to the creator. I've debated that a few times with people actually.

I'm not too sure what the bible has to say on that one. I personally believe animals could have a soul, but I'm not really sure what a soul is.

Quote:

At the same time it begs the question of how the time before time came to be... which isn't really even applicable since well.. there's no time...

That's one problem. If the there is a pre-universal state that existed before time, then it would have existed forever in which case there would be no universe. Time would have to have no beginning or creation to rule God out on that one. But, ignoring that the universe DOES exist for one moment, we have two options.

a. Time doesn't exist.
b. Time does exist.

You can't use time existing now as proof of the supposition that it has a reason for existing. So given those two possibilities, why should time even exist in the first place? And if time doesn't exist at one point, then it doesn't exist for an eternity in which case time will never exist.

Which raises the interesting question, if we can prove our universe hasn't existed forever, how do we prove time hasn't? I'm not a physicist, so I couldn't imagine. I only have some layman guesses as to why our universe couldn't exist forever.

Quote:

An incredibly massive supercluster of superclusters would not be a multiverse, just an infinite or near-infinite universe since all that would seperate expansion points would be space, time, and energy.

Ah, I think I misunderstood you.

Quote:

We're watching stars be born right now.

That's what I hear, but no one goes in depth. I'll research this later.

Quote:

Infinite universe = infinite energy.

Indeed, but this raises an interesting paradox. If the universe is infinite, that means at any given point in time (we'll use an absolute amount for the point for simplicity's sake, say one second) an infinite amount of energy is being used. What's X if infinity - infinity = x.

Quote:

It baffles my mind how you don't see a creator as pushing the question back in the exact same way

Well, I personally have the assumption that God did inspire the bible, and He didn't lie about himself. By His definition, He wouldn't need a creator.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."