Quote:

Quote:

Darwinian evolution has nothing to do with modern evolution!

Well, I dont think this is accurate... this is like saying Newtonian physics have nothing to do with modern physics.

Of course darwin made some mistakes, its hard when you are creating a totally new field of science. And poeple can sit around and point out some errors and therefore expect everyone to assume he was wong about everything? Darwin's ideas have certainly been modified greawtly. he was working 150 years ago, so obviously we have learned some more things since then...but wihtout him we still would be able to make sense of it.

And as I said a million times, if you havent read Darwin, you cant really discuss his ideas intelligently, despite what crap you find on creationist websites.

I've read quite a bit of Darwin mat. Have you? Newtonian physics is a bad example. Newton created formula's to describe motion that are extremely useful, in fact he didnt really get anyhting wrong. Except gravity, which we still don't understand. Newtonian physics is extremely useful for predicting things on earth.

Darwin on the other hand, totally missed a hell of a lot. Can't blame him though, anyone would have. Smart tend to have smart babies, tall people have tall kids, why wouldn't you think that inheritance was as basic and straightforward as he did? So yeah, Everything irish farmer pointed out is pretty much true. However, you are correct that because of his ideas evolutionary biology is a lot stronger then it would have been otherwise (obviously someone else would come up with the idea). Religious controls are a lot weaker nowadays, a lot because a more signifigant number of people don't believe everything they read in the bible, and despite that fact that i dont care if evolution is true or not, i think EVERYONE can agree that less church control is good. Theres a name for the era where church control was near total, the Dark Ages. So yeah, because we have nobody forbidding us from tinkering with what makes life go, and because people were inspired to figure out what makes us go to find the origin of life - It gives us things like stem cell research, gene therapy, prediction of disorders...