Quote:

I'm not sure who would claim this

Then you're obviously skimming over my posts. Gould.

Quote:

unless he was totally ignorant of the fossil record, or didnt understand Darwin.

Gould knows more about evolution than you could ever hope to know. At least I'd assume he does since he's paid to know.

Quote:

Because the discovery of Archeaoptyrix,

Ah yes, the same transition who's ancestors appear after it in the fossil record. And which has already developed pretty much all of the major features of modern birds. That transition.

The dino fuzz that supposedly lead up to feathers appears after archaeopteryx. Needless to say archaeopteryx not only had feathers, but had feathers already designed for flight.

"But it has teeth!" Ok. So it has one or two oddities for birds. That probably explains why it went extinct.

What's so strange about that anyway? The duckbilled platypus has poisonous barbs on its legs, its a mammal that lays eggs, it has a duckbill, a beaver-like tail, and it uses electroception to locate prey.

Quote:

made in Darwin's lifetime, was and is seen as good evidence for bird evolution form reptiles. Thomas Huxley himself championed this fossil as proof of Darwin's theory.

This is another example of how hard it is to weed out the lies of evolution.

If a good example of a transition into birds is a bird, then that just shows why evolution is so easy to justify for evolutionists.

Quote:

The long-term stasis, following a geologically abrupt origin, of most fossil morphospecies, has always been recognized by professional paleontologists

In other words, animals appear in the fossil record and remain unchanged as long as they are in the fossil record. They don't slowly change into anything else.

Quote:

It is a feature of the known fossil record that most taxa appear abruptly. They are not, as a rule, led up to by a sequence of almost imperceptibly changing forerunners such as Darwin believed should be usual in evolution A great many sequences of two or a few temporally intergrading species are known, but even at this level most species appear without known intermediate ancestors, and really, perfectly complete sequence of numerous species are exceedingly rare ... These peculiarities of the record pose one of the most important theoretical problems in the whole history of life; is the sudden appearance ... a phenomenon of evolution or of the record only, due to sampling bias and other inadequacies?

This isn't Gould. Its George Gaylord Simpson. But I like it nonetheless.

I like how the immediate response to the lack of evidence for evolution is to figure out how the evidence can be made to fit the theory. Its like coming up with a theory of gravity in a universe with no gravity. "Well, is it possible that things don't fall, because gravity is hard to detect?"

Quote:

The "argument from imperfection" ( with its preposition purposefully chosen by analogy to the "argument from design") works adequately as a device to save gradualism in the face of an empirical signal of quite stunning contrariness when read at face value."

Gould is taking a long time to say that perhaps the record is far too incomplete to save evolution. But then why do animals remain unchanged (stasis) for 100s of millions of years? Uh...well for 100s of millions of years there was no change in selective pressure on some animals. Yeah. That's it.

Quote:

But how can imperfection possibly explain away stasis (the equilibrium of punctuated equilibrium)? Abrupt appearance may record an absences of information, but *stasis is data*. Eldredge and I became so frustrated by the failure of many colleagues to grasp this evident point - though a quarter century of subsequent debate has finally propelled our claim to general acceptance (while much else about punctuated equilibrium remains controversial) - that we urged the incorporation of this little phrase as a mantra or motto. Say it ten times before breakfast every day for a week, and the argument will surely seep in by osmosis: "stasis is data: stasis is data ..."
The fossil record may, after all, be 99 percent imperfect, but if you can, nonetheless, sample a species at a large number of horizons well spread over several million years, and if these samples record no net change, with beginning and end points substantially the same, and with only mild and errant fluctuation among the numerous collections in between, then a conclusion of stasis rests on the *presence* of data, not on absence!

The religious dedication to evolution here is staggering. Animals appear to reproduce after their kind, and that's all the fossil record actually records, but we must save evolution from reality!

This is another quote talking about how stasis is pretty much the law of the fossil record.

Quote:

So if stasis could not be explained away as missing information, how could gradualism face this most prominent signal from the fossil record? The most negative of all strategies - a quite unconscious conspiracy of silence - dictated the canonical response of paleontologists to their observations of stasis.

In other words the layman was just lead to believe the fossil record supported evolution because no one wanted to talk about it. That's nice.

Quote:

All paleontologists recognized the phenomenon, but few scientists write papers about failure to document a desired result. As a consequence, most nonpaleontologists never learned about the predominance of stasis, and simply assumed that gradualism must prevail, as illustrated by the exceedingly few cases that became textbook "classics": the coiling of *Gryphae*, the increasing body size of horses, etc. [note: Apparently Gould himself discusses the failure of these records of change, for instance horse evolution turned out to be undocumented....sorry, Phemox] Thus, when punctuated equilibrium finally granted theoretical space and importance to stasis, and this fundamental phenomenon finally emerged from the closet, nonpaleontologists were often astounded and incredulous.

That's right Phemox. Horse evolution isn't as sure of a thing as you were meant to believe.

So here we have peer-reviewed scientists not telling the layman things that might be important for them to critically examine evolution? Wow.

So you guys have a puzzle, where no two peices actually connect, but you want me to imagine the whole puzzle along with you? Why should I. What evidence do you have that anything has changed over time? Gould, an evolutionist, admits that the fossil record is not what Darwin had hoped it would be. Why should I believe your claims that not only the does the fossil record back up evolution, but that ANY animal have transitioned? I don't normally just believe whatever I'm told. I want to see the evidence you guys use to prove any animal has become another animal.

Quote:

scientists now know that whales evolved from land mammals called "pakicetids"

You mean scientists think pakicetids evolved into whales? Because as far as I know there is no scientist who is 400 million years old. At least last time I checked.

I like the idea behind this one. A mammal like animal falls into the ocean and out pops a whale. Ok. Let's go over this one.

By the way, I like how they scale these animals to make it seem like they're the same size. If creationists did something that subtle, we'd be accused of trying to mislead the public about evolution.

I don't think I found any two sources that completely agreed on whale evolution, strangely enough, but I'll go with this one. Its from the BBC. I'm going to skip their first example because its completely useless, it might as well be the same animal as their second one, and the second one is the one you mentioned, Matt.

Ah, yes! What scientists like to call the 'earliest whale.' The resemblance is uncanny.

How dumb do evolutionists have to make themselves sound before people realize the theory of evolution really is dumb?

The dotted parts are the only parts of the skeleton that were actually discovered. I don't need to mention that there is much room for bias to leak in. Where you don't know the rest of the animal, its possible to add whatever you want that would still make the animal viable. Don't believe me? Pakicetus was originally thought to be a swimming creature with fin-like appendages. Wait! That's right it turned out it was basically a wolf like creature. Oops.

Then there was the pig's tooth that was thought to be early man. The filed down and stained ape skull that was thought to be early man. And then...etc etc etc. I don't trust scientists with a strong bias for evolution to actually be able to properly fill in the gaps. Like I said, evolution only works when imagination is allowed to enter the picture.

Not to mention that even with the imagination this creature still looks like a land animal.

Ok, so a land animal turned into example number 4? A land animal immediately transitioned into a water animal that basically already looks like a whale. That's convincing.

And the last one (number 5) is a whale, we all already understand whales well enough. The problem I see here is the problem I see everywhere else. You go from having mutliple examples of the kind of animal A that transitions into animal B, and then multiple examples of animal B. In other words you have three fossils of land animals, all obviously land animals. And then two different variations on whales. I'm not very dazzled.

Quote:

The idea that evolution as a concept is somehow threatened in the scientific world is rediculous and untrue

If it isn't threatened, its just plain stupid.

Quote:

evolution is true, and is the guiding force behind much modern biology.

Yes, its been useful in....doing....well, I'm not sure how its been helpful actually.

Quote:

You seem still to believe that science and especially evolution somehow disproves God.

Science is able to come up with natural explanations. But that doesn't mean they're true. That problem is that people like you automatically accept any alternative to God as true, even if there is little to no evidence, and then say that you've proved God isn't needed anymore.

Based on everything I've gleened from you. God could exist. But if he does, he didn't create the universe, he didn't order the universe the way it is, and he didn't create life. Its like he's just sitting there, and then all of the sudden, "Oh, hey! There's a universe that created itself and is doing all sorts of crazy things and there are lifeforms that discovered me. Hm, how did this happen? It certainly couldn't have been me because the people in that universe already know that any explanation that involves me is just using me to fill the gaps."

According to you, what's the point of God anymore?

Quote:

But they are still scientists, and thus do not limit their thinking to exclude natural explanations for life and nature.

Neither do I. I know there are natural explanations for the origin of life and explanations for biodiversity. I just haven't seen the evidence.

Quote:

\And yet you haven't been able to come up with even just one valid and true contradiction, but you keep repeating yourself nonetheless as if there are dozens of them.

You either managed to completely ignore things I've been saying, or you didn't grasp what I was saying.

So I'll outline a few of my favorite examples of genetic data that contradicts evolution.

The first being whale evolution. Whale DNA is closer to Hippos, Camels, Pigs, and so on. I don't see any animal along those lines in the evolutionary history.

According to evolutionists the earliest known branching of hippos was 15-18 million years ago, and any common ancestor would have to have persisted for about 32 million years. There is no evidence of this. So you can either accept the molecular evidence, which has no fossil backing, or accept the fossil backing with no molecular evidence. Good luck.

Thewissen et al., Nature 395 (1998) “Whale ankles and evolutionary relationships”

Strangely enough, the outdated fossil record version (probably the one Matt believes) is still presented to the public as the most plausible story of whale evolution. Even though DNA suggest whales did not come from these hyena-like ancestors.

So what were you saying that scientists 'know'? By the way, all of this spreading of misinformation is done by "peer reviewed" scientists. A lot of good that does.

I'm not saying that the scientists didn't think they were right at the time and were purposefully lying. I'm just saying that being peer reviewed doesn't help when your bias causes you to make the wrong conclusion.

Turtles were thought to have given rise to the more modern reptiles and all that junk. After DNA analysis turtles are actually within the same group as other diapsids or 'regular' reptiles.

Science News, 5 December, 1998 “Turtle Genes Upset Reptilian Family Tree” p. 358

Lizard ancestors [tautaras] are actually closer to crocodiles than 'regular lizards' as they were previously thought.

Science News, 6 March 1999, “Turtles and Crocs: Strange Relations” p. 159

We should be able to see the relationship between similar creatures within cytochrome C. Actually I'm mostly bringing this one up because the mere mention of it last time (even though I didn't know much about it at the time) sent you guys on a fit. I want to see what you guys have to say about this one again, because mostly I didn't care at the time.

Animals that are completely diverse have genetic similarities. Elephants and aardvarks for example supposedly share a common ancestor according to DNA relationships.

Perkins, Science News, Vol. 160, August 18, 2001, “A Ticklish Debate: How might the feather have evolved?”, page 107

Flamingos and Grebes, two birds that look and behave nothing like each other, apparently have similar DNA too. We all know what flamingos look like, but grebes by contrast are diving birds, stocky bodies, slender heads, and small necks.

These examples are another instance of evolution being a pseudoscience. When it works out best, looks and structure prove a relationship. But then the DNA evidence disagrees, so when it works out best, animals that look absolutely nothing alike apparently evolved into each other or from a common ancestor usually with absolutely no fossil evidence, or in contradiction to the fossil evidence.

Its not that DNA evidence revises the tree to something more accurate, it mixes the tree up so bad you wouldn't even know it was a tree.

Scallops and sea urchins are about 82% similar in DNA. So that sounds great for evolution. After all, we would expect this sort of a similarity. Until we realize that scallops and tarantulas have 92% in common. That doesn't work out quite so well.

Problems like these lead evolutionists to say things like, "current models of DNA substitution usually fit the data poorly."

Maley & Marshall, "The Coming of Age of Molecular Systematics", Science, 23 January 1998, page 505

Last example for today is my favorite example. The Dll gene.

Quote:

At some point during the growth of an insect larva, a gene called Dll switches on and helps organize some of its cells into legs. If for some reason Dll is shut off, the insect will produce only stumps. In the early 1990s scientists were surprised to discover that almost identical copies of this gene can be found in mammals and other vertebrates--and that they too switch on as legs form. This was surprising for two reasons. For one thing, insects and vertebrates have radically different limbs: ours have bone inside and muscle outside, while bugs are the reverse--their flesh is protected by an armored exoskeleton. For another thing, insects and vertebrates are only distantly related: our last common ancestor lived perhaps a billion years ago and was assumed to be limbless, like a flatworm. Researchers therefore imagined the two lineages evolved their limbs--and the genes that build them--independently.

"Hidden Unity", Discover, January 1998, page 46

Our last common ancestor lived a billion years ago and had no limbs, and yet mammals and insects have an almost identical gene for appendage growth. Of course, the evidence can be rationalized by evolutionists who hold a religious devotion to evolution. However, the way I see it if the evidence doesn't fit the theory the way it should, its because the theory is false.

Science has become a joke. I can hardly wait until the general acceptance of evolution is considered the dark age of science.

Quote:

Aren't you trying to put science away in a box to be able to ignore it even easier? It's tough to understand your behavior, but maybe it's because you already know better and don't what to give up on wishful thoughts? I'm not out to offend you by saying all this, I'm just trying to understand, which I can't ...

That's because you're going about this all wrong. To you, it doesn't matter what the evidence says, evolution is true. So instead of critically examining evolution with an open mind, you decide its true, and then try and figure out why anyone else would disagree. But that's ok, I'm not here to fix you, because other people will see your behavior and how lame evolution is and you'll help my cause by posting the way you are.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 07/01/06 21:19.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."