Quote:

I can see your point. But I'm not trying to appeal directly to emotion. Matt keeps bringing up liberal-friendly examples like homosexual pedophilia.

I can't see where calling pedophilia a liberal-friendly example does NOT appeal directly to emotions. But, all in all, you are behaving remarkably well for a such a hot-topic. I'm still wondering if you are actually arguing the same thing.

Moral Relativism, as far as I understand, is the idea that morals are not absolute but reflect a particular time/place/culture. While morals tend to reflex what's best for a particular society, it doesn't have to.

Quote:

American slavery is possibly a better example because its benefit to society is easier to recognize, even though its universally understood to be a bad thing.

This is a good example. Are you saying that American slavery is universally understood to be a "bad thing" morally? Back in the 18th century, a majority of American didn't think so at all. And, as much as I hate it, even today slavery is not universally understood to be morally bad. Isn't that Moral Relativism?

(Note: I think human slavery is morally bad, but I believe that is because of my up-bringing and not an absolute moral value everybody owns.)

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI