Quote:

You'll listen to whatever scientists tell you, except that.

Uuhhm, hate to disappoint you, but no. Infact, scientists do not even agree on this subject. Everyone seems to agree though that the brain processes a lot of impulses (practically all, except those 'reflex impulses') and also makes sure an 'appropriate' action will happen.

Quote:

Consciousness is an awareness, or understanding of the action/reaction, per se.

Yes, but that's what your brain makes believe .. It's still just a reaction. Infact, it's the result of a double reaction. You think about looking at the screen, you've just seen it. And you are thinking about it again. Does that really make you aware of your action? Your brain thinks so, but he's just registrating the second reaction on 'looking at the computer screen' and gives as a reaction 'hey I'm thinking about looking at the screen'.

It's still just a reaction. Give the brain enough impulses and it'll probably react quite complex to it, still doesn't change the fact that the final result is simply the reaction to all those individual impulses ... We don't know yet exactly where 'ideas come from' yet, but if it's mathematically and chemically speaking simply the result of an equation, then what exactly makes us different from a robot? Illusions fed by our brain...

Quote:

For instance. When I'm looking at the computer screen, I'm actually looking at the computer screen. I'm conscious of it. However, a robot could look at the computer screen and react to stimulus, but still not be conscious.

That's where emotions come in too btw .. a robot can be aware of it's environment too (sensors telling him how far away obstructing objects are, if something is moving etc.), however lacking emotions it will never react to the events like we do. It doesn't have a trillion billion preprogrammed reactions to randomly choose from either, we sort off do ...

Quote:

the conscious, Psychoanalysis. the part of the mind comprising psychic material of which the individual is aware.

Not the brain ... the mind. MIND; (in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.: the processes of the human mind.

The link between mind and matter has never been proven, that's my problem with the brain being the seat of our consciousness, if there even is something like that.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software