Quote:

I would like to know which scientists are unsure about whether or not the brain is conscious.

There are quite a lot of theories about the relation between the mind and the matter, and what or where exactly 'consciousness' is seated. Just search for it, 'theories on consciousness' or something along that lines. It'll show what I mean.

I don't think we're not conscious (yes, that might be confusing), I'm just saying that it could simply be an illusion, as a result of our brain's reaction. All we do is react on impulses, like you said, there's nothing supernatural about that. Some people tend to give the conscious way more credit.

Is a 'machine' that records what happens, and who's able to think about it and has a mimicked (self-)awareness, conscious?? I think so. I mean, it may not be alive, but it's conscious (to some extent), depending on how accurate the immitation is.

Quote:

Um, an illusion provided to what? Our brains? But then what's the difference? You say we're not conscious, we just think we're conscious. But since I'm aware, whether its by an illusion or otherwise, what does it matter?

You're biased. You start your reasoning with 'since I'm aware'. They use to say 'cogito ergo sum' ("I am thinking, therefore I exist"), but what if the 'thinking' is an illusion? Does 'thinking' about anything really matter? No, it's the actions based upon that thinking that matter (that will actually have a result), so the 'I am thinking'-part may not be that important for existence in the first place.

Okey, anyways, this is going a bit nowhere ... I meant illusion as in, the reaction of the brain telling us to 'feel conscious/self-aware' and thus we are thinking we're conscious. Thinking you're conscious and being conscious are two different things, so it matters a lot.

Simplest example I could think off to explain it even better: Thinking you can fly can be very different to your actual ability to fly.

Quote:

Its a complex set of electrical reaction something-or-others. The point is that it exists, regardless of whether or not its a reaction. What you're trying to tell me is that my brain is only convinced its conscious, but I don't quite get the difference.

Again, I'll point to the simple example I gave. You can't 'grab' the consciousness, which is why this is such a complex subject, it's in the mind so to speak.

It may be a bit confusing, but I do think that the brain is the seat of 'consciousness', personally I don't see any other option. However, the relation between the mind and matter isn't proven/researched enough, plenty of theories with different ideas... Some think it's a neat illusion and a result of processes in the brain, I simply tend to agree with that.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software