Think you would have been able to find most of this out with a quick forum search but theres a few basic things you need to know.

- You get regular copyright and registered copyright.

- Regular copyright is automatically given to any original creation. For example I'll invent a game title;
"ZUZU THE TOENAIL SNATCHER"
Sounds cool right? Well that name, provided it is an original concept and name is automatically copyrighted to myself. It's my idea, nobody gets to use it without my permission.

- Registered copyright is merely a way of gaining an official recognition that that concept belongs to me. A bit like registering your car or house.

- Without registration I am still protected by the same copyright laws as if I wasn't. However there is far more focus on myself for looking after that copyright and without registration it can be far more difficult to make a legitimate infringement claim.

- Herein if you are not going to officially register your idea you should keep your own dated records and use the "(C)" copyright symbol etc etc on your work. Sending copies of documents to yourself through the mail is quite good as nobody can argue with a post date. Just dont open them!

So there you have it, www.copyrightservice.co.uk has more information based on UK law.

Last edited by Lost; 08/20/06 12:51.

Lost Games WIP - Nysho and the Attack of the Boons Rise up and flame me like the prepubescent man you outa be son!